“I believe that being successful means having a balance of success stories across the many areas of your life. You can’t be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.” –Zig Ziglar
Choose the key areas of your life and then ask yourself questions to help you decide what you want to achieve in each of these areas. Pretend that you’re a life coach interviewing a client trying to help them define their ideal life. For example, the areas you choose and the questions you ask could be the following:
1. Finances: What would you like your net worth to be? When would you like to retire? How much money do you need to support your life goals? What investments would you like to make? Are you going to create multiple streams of income? If so, how? Are you going to create passive income? If so, how? Are you going to invest in stocks and/or bonds? Are you going to invest in real estate? Are you going to hire a financial planner?
2. Vocation/Career/Contribution: What do you want to do? What do you want to contribute? What would you like to be known for in your profession? What kind of impact would you like to have? What could you create? What contributions do you dream of making? What does your workday look like? Would you like to make the world a better place? If so, how? What is your ideal work environment? Would you like to be self-employed? Would you like to write a book? Would you like to start a business and then have others run it for you? Would you like to create an online business?
3. Learning/Personal Development: What are your life goals? What skills would you like to acquire? What courses or seminars would you like to attend? What books would you like to read? What are your thinking strategies? Do you want to achieve any artistic goals? Does your thinking style serve you well? Would you like to develop a different mindset? Do you need to learn how to master your emotions?
4. Intimate Relationship/Marriage/Children: What would you like your relationship with your partner to be like? What do you want your marriage to look like? Would you like to be a parent? If you’re already a parent, what do you want your relationship with your children to be like?
5. Social/Interpersonal/Community: What kind of organizations would you like to be involved in? What qualities and values do you want your friends to have? What kind of activities would you like to participate in with your friends?
6. Home: What is your perfect home environment? Do you want to live in a house or in an apartment? Would you like to create a sanctuary for yourself? What would you like to see, hear, and smell when you walk into your home? What is the view from the window? How much space would make you comfortable? What kind of decor do you enjoy? What objects would you like to be surrounded by? How would you like to feel when you walk into your home? Would you like a session with a closet organizer? Would you like to have a garden? Do you want to have a swimming pool? Would you like to have a rose-covered gazebo in the backyard? Do you want to have a fireplace?
7. Spiritual: What would make you feel spiritually fulfilled? Would you like to start meditating? Would you like to take up yoga, tai chi, Qi Gong, or some other healing practice? Do you need to heal old wounds? Do you need to learn to forgive?
8. Fitness/Style/Beauty: What are your fitness goals? Are there any athletic goals you would like to achieve? What is your ideal weight? What clothes/shoes/accessories would you like to own?
9. Travel/Adventure/Fun: Where would you like to go? What activities relax you and bring you joy? What adventures would you like to have? What events would you like to attend?
10. Possessions: What would you like to own? What kind of car would you like to drive? Do you want to own a boat? Are there any electronic gadgets you would really like to have?
What else do you want? Can you describe it in more detail? Come up with more questions you could ask yourself to help you probe into what you really want in life. The brain runs on questions. If you ask the right questions, your mind will help you to design the life of your dreams.